(NAPSI)—Every home has a central gathering space where people spend most of their time. This area could be a kitchen, a living room or even the garage—as long as the rooms are organized and functional. But that’s not always the case. For example, the garage is useful for a variety of purposes, but too often ends up being the dumping ground for items that do not fit in the rest of the home. Thankfully, today’s organizational tools can help provide order to a usually chaotic room and help make it functional again. According to Leslie Howard, a member of the National Association of Professional Organizers and owner of Indianapolis-based Streamline by Design, an organizational system such as Gladiator GarageWorks can help clients transform their garage into a multiuse area. “With the right organizational tools, any homeowner can turn their disorganized space into an automobile haven, a gardener’s sanctuary or even the sports fanatic’s dream locker room,” says Howard. To get started, she recommends these simple tips: • To make the situation less stressful, allow yourself time to tackle the project.
• Sort items in the garage into separate categories; e.g., sports equipment, seasonal items, tools, etc.
• Donate or recycle broken or unused items. • Look for wasted space and create a plan of how the room will look, making sure to measure each area to maximize the use of the space.
• Choose an organizational system like Gladiator® GarageWorks, which offers versatility and the ability to grow as your needs change. After the system installation:
• Place items most frequently used in locations that are easily accessible and within reach.
• Create a habit of putting things away within a timely manner in its appropriate space to maintain organization. Enjoy your newly transformed space! Once your garage is complete, you can apply the tips above for any room in your home or office. A recent study conducted by Harris Interactive on behalf of Whirlpool Corporation found that for 23 percent of U.S. adults, the bedroom is the space that gathers the most clutter, compared with only 14 percent who said the garage.
* With just a little imagination, you can easily use these tips throughout the house to fit your family’s functionality needs and organizational goals.
*This survey was conducted online within the United States by Harris Interactive on behalf of Whirlpool Corporation from May 18−20, 2011 among 2,407 adults ages 18 and older. This online survey was not based on a probability sample and therefore no estimate of theoretical sampling error can be calculated. For complete survey methodology, including weighting variables, please contact [email protected]