1. Make the holidays a little brighter for children at Kentucky Children’s Hospital by donating toys, books and gift cards by December 19. The most in-need items include small Lego kits, art supplies, card and board games, Play-doh and toddler toys (no stuffed animals). Contact the Child Life Department: [email protected]
2. Help others stay warm by donating a coat drive. The A Coat To Keep The Cold Away Youth Coat Drive is accepting donations of new coats at the Plantory until December 15. Contact Devine Carama: [email protected] The Fayette County Sheriff’s Diana Ross Winter Care Coat Drive is accepting donations of new or previously worn coats until December 31 at the following Lexington locations: Republic Bank branches, Chase Dry Cleaners, Bluegrass Cleaners or the Office of the Fayette County Sheriff. Contact Anita Franklin: [email protected].
3. Getting a new laptop this holiday season? Mission Health Lexington will recycle your old one! Mission Health Lexington provides comprehensive charitable dental, vision, pharmacy and medical care to Lexington residents living without insurance and below federal poverty guidelines. They have a high need for refurbished laptops to outfit their clinic spaces. Contact Abby Pliszka: [email protected]
4. Host a food drive for God’s Pantry Food Bank . Their most wanted food items include breakfast foods, pasta and rice, shelf-stable milk, soups, peanut butter and canned meat, fruits and vegetables. Or, host a fund drive! Every dollar donated to God’s Pantry Food Bank allows them to gather and distribute enough food for eight meals. Contact D’wan Carey: [email protected]
5. Provide a hot meal for Lexington’s homeless and low-income neighbors at Lighthouse Ministries . Individuals (at least 12 years old) or groups can sponsor or cook and serve lunch and/or dinner, Monday – Saturday. Contact Allison Barnett: [email protected].
Don’t know what to get the person who has everything? Check out the BGCF’s selection of Giving Cards at bgcfgivingcards.org. Giving Cards are like retail gift cards, except they can be redeemed for the benefit of any public charity in the United States. They have several holiday designs to choose from, or you can create your own! Giving Cards are a wonderful way to introduce kids to the idea of giving back – they make great stocking-stuffers or Hanukkah gifts. Lauren would love to help you customize a holiday Giving Card! Reach her at 859.225.3343 or [email protected]