With the start of a new year, we’re often inspired to make resolutions. In 2020, let’s resolve to get involved! Make it a point to give back to not only better yourself, but better our community. Here are some ideas to get your New Year off to a charitable start:
1. Donate gently used toys to The Nest. Make room for the toys that Santa brought by donating those toys that don’t get played with anymore to The Nest’s Child Care Program, a service that provides caregivers assistance with child care for children birth to age five due to planned and/or unexpected circumstances. Contact Rachel Madden: [email protected]
2. Donate diapers and LexTran bus passes to LexCare. LexCare provides financial and material assistance to individuals an dfamilies who have suddenly suffered from a catastrophic events, such as illenss, job loss, death of a spouse or the need to escape domestic violence. In additino to monetary donations, they are alwats in need of bus passes and diapers. Contact: [email protected]
3. Donate furniture to Lexington ReStore. Bring new or gently used furniture, appliances, building materials and architectural salvage to Lexington Restore. All proceeds from ReStore go to support Lexington Habitat for Humanity. Contact [email protected]
4. Donate old books, CDs and DVDs to Friends of the Lexington Library. Proceeds from its Friends Book Cellar bookstore go to benefit the Lexington Public Library. Donations may be dropped at all Lexington Public Library locations or Friends Book Cellar during business hours. Contact: [email protected]
5. Donate blood to the American Red Cross. January is National Blood Donor Month, making it the perfect time to resolve to be a regular blood donor and help save lives. Just one blood donation could save as many as three lives. Visit redcrossblood.org to learn more about donating blood and find a blood drive near you.
To learn more about these incredible nonprofits and over 400 others, visit GoodGiving.net. Or if you want to learn more about the work of Blue Grass Community Foundation and how they can help you better organize and simplify your personal or business giving for 2020, Lauren would love to hear from you! You can reach her at 859.225.3343 or [email protected]